LAGUNES OF LLANGANUCO
Huaraz • Hot springs of Monterrey • Jangas • Yungar • Airport of Anta • Marcara • Carhuaz • Mancos • Ranrahirca • Yungay (old cemetery) • Laguna Llanganuco • Nuevo Yungay • Caraz • Artesanías Tarica • Huaraz
In Llanganuco there are two lagoons connected to each other. These lagoons have their origin in the thaws of the Huascarán, Huandoy, Yanapaccha, Chopicalqui and Pisco snow-capped mountains, which offer their waters to create one of the most representative and symbolic natural areas in the entire Callejón de Huaylas and the Huascarán National Park. As mentioned earlier, you will find the lagoons of Chinancocha or Laguna Hembra (3,850 msnm) and Orconcocha or Laguna Macho (3,863 msnm). The first is of greater size and depth (28 meters) and impressive by the turquoise intensity of its waters, while the second is encased by huge walls of almost vertical granites. Its waters are light blue and it is located at the end of the glacier valley.
In both lagoons there are facilities for travelers. Boats, horse rides are rented in Chinancocha and there is a camping area and a beautiful path called María Josefa that crosses a queñual forest (Polylepis), a tall Andean tree. For its part, Orconcocha has a camping area and a park guard station.
- 9:00 am departure from Huaraz towards the Callejón de Huaylas.
- Stop at the Maria Auxiliadora viewpoint to appreciate the mountain range of the Cordillera Blanca, (the snow-capped Huascarán highest point in Peru 6768 masl) and the Arias Graziani Airport.
- Visit the town of Carhuaz, (if you wish you can buy ice cream made from pure fruit), tour of the main square.
- Visit to the holy field of Yungay (former Yungay buried in 1970, after an avalanche originated in the snowy Huascaran).
- Visit to the lagoon of Llanganuco (Chinancocha 3,850 masl) of a turquoise color, is surrounded by Quenuales forests, and flanked by the snowy Huandoy, Yanapaccha and Huascarán.
- Lunch in a tourist restaurant.
- Visit the town of Caraz (tasting of the delicious white delicacy).
- Visit to the artisan town of Taricá (clay pottery, plaster and others).
- Return to Huaraz.
Please contact us to get the price of this tour.